Now-a-days, we get full-cream, toned and double-toned varieties of milk packed in polypacks or tetra packs in the market. These varieties of milk contain different amounts of fat.
• Take some full-cream milk in a test tube.
• Centrifuge it by using a centrifuging machine for two minutes. If a centrifuging machine is not available in the school, you can do this activity at home by using a milk churner, used in the kitchen.
• If you have a milk dairy nearby, visit it and ask (i) how they separate cream from milk and (ii) how they make cheese (paneer) from milk.
• What do you observe on churning the milk?
• Explain how the separation of cream from milk takes place.
Sometimes the solid particles in a liquid are very small and pass through a filter paper. For such particles the filtration technique cannot be used for separation.
• Used in diagnostic laboratories for blood and urine tests.
• Used in dairies and home to separate butter from cream.
• Used in washing machines to squeeze out water from wet clothes.
Shaalaa.com | Separate cream from milk and oil from water
Which separation techniques will you apply for the separation of the Fine mud particles suspended in water.
Which separation techniques will you apply for the separation of the following?
Iron pins from sand.