separating funnel e.g water + carbon tetra chloride
• Let us try to separate kerosene oil from water using a separating funnel.
• Pour the mixture of kerosene oil and water in a separating funnel (Fig. 2.6).
• Let it stand undisturbed for sometime so that separate layers of oil and water are formed.
• Open the stopcock of the separating funnel and pour out the lower layer of water carefully.
• Close the stopcock of the separating funnel as the oil reaches the stop-cock.
Separation of immiscible liquids :
• To separate mixture of oil and water.
• In the extraction of iron from its ore, the lighter slag is removed from the top by this method to leave the molten
iron at the bottom in the furnace.
The principle is that immiscible liquids separate out in layers depending on their densities.