How is a sound produced?
A sound is produced when an object vibrates, that is they move in a ‘to-and-fro’ motion.
- When we strike a tuning fork or a stretched rubber band, it vibrates and produces sound.
- The human voice is produced because of the vibration of the vocal cords.
- String instruments produce sound as their strings vibrate.
- When a bird flaps its wings a sound is produced.
- A flute produces sound because the air column of the flute vibrates as air passes through it.
Shaalaa.com | Production and Propagation of sound
A person is listening to a tone of 500 Hz sitting at a distance of 450 m from the source of the sound. What is the time interval between successive compressions from the source?
Which characteristics of the sound helps you to identify your friend by his voice while sitting with others in a dark room?