Population : Part - 1
- Distribution of Population
- Patterns of Population Distribution in the World
- Geographical Factors Affecting Population Distribution
- Geographical Factors Affecting Population Distribution - Physical Factors
- Geographical Factors Affecting Population Distribution - Human Factors
- Components of Population Change
- Population Growth
- Population Growth and Explosion
Population : Part - 2
Human Settlements and Land Use
Primary Economic Activities
Secondary Economic Activities
- Physical Factors Affecting Secondary Economic Activities
- Economic Factors Affecting Secondary Economic Activities
- Political Factors Affecting Secondary Economic Activities
- Other Factors Affecting Secondary Economic Activities
- Footloose Industries
- Industrial Regions
- Major Industrial Regions of the World
- Classification of Industries
Tertiary Economic Activities
Region and Regional Development
- Types of Regions
- Regional Development
- Factors Affecting Regional Development
- Physical Factors and Regional Development
- Population and Regional Development
- Land Use and Regional Development
- Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Economic Activities and Regional Development
- Regional Imbalance
- Causes of Regional Imbalances in India
- Strategies to Reduce Regional Imbalance
Geography : Nature and Scope
- Split location
- Economies of scale or agglomeration
Read the following passage and answer the question given below
Iron and steel production started from the 18th century. About 50 to 60 countries are engaged in iron and steel production. Some of these countries are leading and account for about 80% of world production. These countries are United States, Russia, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy, Canada, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Belgium, Brazil, India, China, Taiwan etc.
The industries in which machinery is manufactured are known as 'engineering industries'. The engineering industry is involved in the manufacture of heavy and bulky machinery, such as railways, aircraft, shipbuilding, clocks, bicycles and other small items. These industries depend on iron and steel industries. These industries are mainly set up in economically developed areas. As railway locomotives are set up along the coast, shipbuilding industries are set up mainly along the coast. The textile and sugar manufacturing industries are attracting markets. But recently the approach of the machine industry has shifted from place to place, attracting more and more urban areas. The engineering industry is understood as the secret of the nation's development.
The availability of skilled labor, raw materials like basic iron and steel, modern and technologically advanced regions and other factors play a vital role in the localization of the engineering industry.
- Which countries are leading in iron and steel production?
- Which industries are mainly set up in economically developed areas?
- The engineering industry includes the machinery required for the manufacture of which goods?
- What factors play an important role in the localization of the engineering industry?