- Anything that occupies space and has mass is called matter.
- The entire universe is composed of matter. However, few things like heat, sound, light, and electricity cannot come under the term matter, because they do not have mass, but they can be useful to do work.
- Heat can be used to iron clothes, cook food, water, etc.
- Electricity has multiple uses like making the fans revolve, useful in operating machines, etc. Our eardrums vibrate due to sound.
- Plant use light to create their food. Light is also useful during the night time to work or study.
- All these things are forms of energy. Energy means the ability to do work.
- It exists in the form of five basic elements, the Panch tatva – air, earth, fire, sky and water. For example: Chair, bed, river, mountain, dog, tree, building, etc. Everything is made up of matter.
- In this chapter we will study the different states of matter such as solid, liquid, and gaseous.
Shaalaa.com | Matter In Our Surroundings
Explain why, osmosis can be considered to be a special kind of diffusion. Classify the following into
(i) osmosis, and (ii) diffusion :
- swelling up of a raisin on keeping in water
- spreading of virus on sneezing
- earthworm dying on coming in contact with common salt
- shrinking of grapes kept in thick sugar syrup
- preserving of pickles in salt
- spreading of smell of cake being baked in the kitchen
- aquatic animals using oxygen dissolved in water during respiration
An inflated balloon full of air goes down slowly (becomes smaller and smaller slowly) even though the knot at the mouth of the balloon is airtight. And after a week all the air has escaped from the balloon. Explain how the air particles got out of the balloon.