Characteristics of particles or matter:
Particles of matter have space between them:
Particles of one type of matter get into the spaces between particles of the other. This shows that there is enough space between particles of matter.
Particles of matter are continuously moving:
Particles of matter are continuously moving as they posses kinetic energy with the increase of temperature kinetic energy of the particles also increases and particles move faster.
Particles of matter attract each other:
Particles of matter have force acting between them. This force keeps the particles together. The strength of this force of attraction varies from one kind of matter to another
From the above fig it is obvious that it would be easier to break a piece of chawlk than the iron ball. This is because the particles in the iron ball are held together with greater force than that of the chawlk.
Explain why, we can easily move our hand in air but to do the same through a plank of wood, we need a karate expert.
Explain the following :
When an incense stick is lighted in the corner of a room, its fragrance spreads quickly in the entire room.
In which of the following conditions, the distance between the molecules of hydrogen gas would increase?
- increasing pressure on hydrogen contained in a closed container
- some hydrogen gas leaking out of the container
- increasing the volume of the container of hydrogen gas
- adding more hydrogen gas to the container without increasing the volume of the container
Which one of the following statements is not true?
- the molecules in a solid vibrate about a fixed position
- the molecules in a liquid are arranged in a regular pattern
- the molecules in a gas exert negligibly small forces on each other, except during collisions
- the molecules of a gas occupy all the space available