- Vacuoles are liquid/solid filled and membrane bound organelles.
- In plant cells, vacuoles are large and permanent. In animal cells, vacuoles are small In size and temporary.
- In mature plant cell, It occupies 50% - 90% space of cell volume.
- Due to its size, other organelles, including nucleus shift towards plasma membrane.
- In plant cells vacuoles are full of cell sap and provide turgidity and rigidity to the cell.
They help to maintain the osmotic pressure in a cell.
They provide turgidity and rigidity to the plant cell.
Shaalaa.com | Vacuoles, Plant vs. Animal cell