Poultry farming includes different kinds of domesticated birds. Different types of poultry are:
It is mainly done for:
- getting eggs through layers
- getting chicken meat through broilers
Examples of Poultry Birds:
- Indigenous breeds: Aseel, Burosa.
- Foreign breeds: Leghorn, Black Minorca.
Crossbreeding is a way to achieve this. Generally, foreign breeds of chicken are crossed with Indian breeds to achieve high quality. It thus has better traits such as:
- Increase in a number of chicks.
- They can tolerate high temperatures.
- They do not require much maintenance
- They can survive cheap diets
Egg and broiler production
- They need a diet with a high quality of Vitamins A and K, proteins and fats.
- They need special care to maintain feathering and avoiding death.
- Proper hygiene and temperature conditions should be provided to the broiler chicken.
- They do not require such nutrient-rich diet.
- They just need a controlled diet.
- The layers require more space and lightning as compared to the broilers.
Disease Control methods should also be adopted against the diseases that are generally caused by bacteria, fungi and parasites in broilers and layers. Disinfectants can be sprayed regularly to avoid such diseases. Sometimes deficiency of nutrition can also need to diseases. Vaccination is a good way to protect the poultry fowl from diseases.
Discuss the implications of the following statement:-
“It is interesting to note that poultry is India’s most efficient converter of low fibre food stuff (which is unfit for human consumption) into highly nutritious animal protein food.”